Monday, July 4, 2011

Wasps of the road

When Piaggio named their new scooter model the "Vespa" back in 1946, they were definitely onto something.

Because scooters are indeed the wasps of the road. We're noisy, agile and very irritating.

Plus, if you hit us, we're almost certainly going to die instantly and leave a big sticky mess.

On my scooter, I like to imagine myself a graceful Mediterranean teenager zipping in and out of the traffic along the seafront in Cannes, even to the point of singing the "Papa/Nicole" Renault Clio music to myself.

It helps draw my attention away from the awful fact that I am an overweight man in his mid-30s, going to sit in an office all day, crawling up to some traffic lights on an industrial estate in Leeds.

That's not me on the right (no helmet), but it's slightly more suggestive of what you see out on the roads in the UK than the other picture.

Postscript:

"Vespa" is Italian for wasp - in case that was not clear at any point.

No comments:

Post a Comment