Thursday, April 21, 2011

Keep it simple

There's a reason why gyms play crappy dance music all the time. Originally, I believed that it was because gyms were overwhelmingly populated by the sort of halfwits who like music like that.

That is, the same reason why there's always more TVs in there showing ITV1 than any other channel.

I have since revised my opinion, at least in part. While I still consider the above to be true, I have also found that it is extremely difficult to do any kind of cardiovascular exercise while listening to – for example – free jazz.

Anything that lacks a simple, thumping 2/4 or 4/4 beat is really bloody hard to get your breathing and running (or rowing or cycling or...errrr...climbing an imaginary Sisyphean staircase) in time with.

Tempo changes cause me to trip over my feet and get a stitch. I hyperventilate at polyrhythms.

Unless you have seven legs and lungs the size of spacehoppers, I strongly discourage you from attempting to jog while listening to any of Miles Davis' output from the 1970s. I tried it, and I swear that after 25 minutes I could really see the 666 embossed on Jeremy Kyle's forehead.

Like I say, there's a reason they don't play fusion in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment